Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Napola

Went and saw a newly released German film this evening. It was called Napola - in reference to the elite Nazi training camps/boarding schools for boys during the war. It was seriously difficult to watch, but all in all an amazing movie.

At first the German was moving a bit fast for me to understand...but there were just too many deep themes that were so powerful and overt...so I really didn't miss anything. The filmmakers were not afraid to portray many of the young boys to be enthusiatic participators in the horror, while others went through moral struggles. It was so honest and emotional. It makes me question what types of people there are in the world: those that only care about themselves, those that hold their morals too loosely to be able to act against such force, those that would kill themselves instead of being dragged along... I mean, how can you really know what type of person you would have been unless you were there? You can't. If only a few more people were willing to kill themselves or give up their life's glory instead of kill innocent people for no reason, things might not have turned out the way they did. I think humanity has to be honest with itself about that, in order to learn from such things. If only I could say the world has really learned...(...Sudan...)

No comments: